Why use a UK based planner for an Italian wedding?
Are you thinking of getting married in Italy? Who could blame you! The venues, the weather, the food and drink and just the overall feeling of romance that you get when visiting Italy. And not to mention the benefits of bringing all of your family and friends together over the course of several days, rather than just the one wedding day.
But is the thought of planning a luxury destination wedding quite overwhelming? And do you worry about dealing with your planner and suppliers remotely, when English won’t be their first language?
It might not have occurred to you that an option would be to use a UK based planner who specialises in weddings in Italy for UK couples.
Michelle of Elegante by Michelle J, tells you here about all the pros (and cons) of using a planning service that is local to you, rather than an Italian wedding planner.
- If you are looking for a service that is “ a hug, not a handshake”, ie very hands on, personal and bespoke, you are much better off working with someone who you can meet up with regularly face to face and chat through all of the options, logistics, next steps etc. With an overseas planner, you will need to do much more of the work yourselves and most contact will be via email
- A UK based planner will help you with additional items, not usually covered by an equivalent Italian service such as guest list management, hotel and travel arrangements, logistics for any suppliers you decide to bring from the UK, invitations and wedding day stationery, ceremony design and planning to name but a few
- A UK based planner who specialises in Italy will generally have relationships with all of the Italian suppliers, just like the Italian planners do, so you can still leave your planner to do all of the liaison with your vendors, but then she will be able to meet with you to talk everything through
- A UK based planner will understand all of the traditions that you wish to incorporate into your wedding day, not just the Italian ones, and will work with you to design a day that incorporates everything you want, not just a “one size fits all” Italian wedding
- If styling and design are important to you, you will have much more opportunity with a UK based planner to sit down and pore over moodboards and design schemes and to timetable inspiration sessions, than you would if you were working remotely with someone in Italy.
- A UK based planner would usually travel with you to Italy for planning trips, when you schedule meetings with your venue and suppliers; her expenses would need to be covered ie flights, hotel, meals etc
- You would also be responsible for covering all of your planner’s expenses throughout the wedding weekend, plus those of any assistants she brings with her to help with the on-the-day co-ordination
- Language might be an issue, but generally I have never found this to cause any problems
- Finally, please note, that many Italian planners cover the whole of Italy; so whilst an Italian planner has the language advantage, you should not necessarily assume that they are based local to your venue. So, all of the issues regarding travel would still apply.
If having read this, you would like to explore the possibility of using a London based planner for your luxury Italian wedding, please contact Michelle of Elegante by Michelle J to arrange an initial consultation .